chester_diocese_logo_colour_med

St Luke’s Church, Dunham-on-the-Hill

chester_diocese_logo_colour_med

Home

Service times

Contact us

Who’s who

Events

News

The story of St Luke’s

Views of the church

Growth Action Planning

A prayer for this week

Newsletter

The story of St Luke’s, Dunham-on-the-Hill

 

St Luke’s Church was consecrated on 18th October 1861 as a chapel of ease for the village. Prior to its construction the congregation would walk to the church at Thornton-le-Moors to attend services. The first incumbent carved the oak framework surrounding a picture of the Good Shepherd, which was painted by his wife and is above the altar.

altar

Belltower

In approximately 1906 an oak carved chancel screen was added and also panelling around the altar and on both sides of the nave. Just before the 1st World War a chime of 8 bells was installed, hung in a wooden bell cote, which eventually rotted was removed and replaced by a stone belfry, housing a single bell.

<<Back

 

 

 

More>>

Chester Diocese

St Paul's Helsby

Helsby Methodist

G.A.P.

Methodist Church, Delamere Forest Circuit

Twitter

Historic Cheshire Churches Preservation Trust